Southern California (Aliso Viejo, CA)
Summary of Position
- Responsible for assisting the Division Controller in all financial reporting and accounting related services required of corporate accounting. Responsible for the day-to-day operation of the accounting department, and the month end close for the division and a portfolio of assets in joint ventures. Responsible for internal and external reporting, including financial institutions and joint ventures. Coordinate joint venture audits. Assist with division business plan and projections and perform various analytical functions.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for meeting the timelines in the monthly financial closing schedule.
- Reconciles and analyzes various company General Ledgers.
- Insures appropriateness and correctness of entries.
- Contacts division personnel as necessary to obtain required information.
- Responsible for the review and/or preparation of monthly and quarterly financial reporting packages including joint venture reports.
- Review and ensure the proper recording, maintenance and update of all job cost budget revisions.
- Assist in the formation of joint ventures and transactional closings.
- Assist in the monitoring of all joint venture operating agreements and/or loan agreements. This includes monitoring of all joint venture operating compliance issues.
- Prepare and submit capital calls to joint venture partners based on the cash needs of the venture.
- Responsible for the review and/or preparation of the month end closing entries for the division and the joint venture entities.
- Assists in preparation and/or review of monthly variances job cost reports.
- Prepares or reviews joint venture construction loan draws.
- Coordinates and prepares schedules for annual joint venture audits and tax returns.
- Analytical comparison of business plan or forecast to actual results for both the division and the joint ventures.
- Assists with budget preparation and prepares monthly budget variance analysis.
- Assists in the preparation of division forecast and annual business plan.
- Coordinates with tax consultant on property taxes, sales and use taxes, and appeals.
- Assists with documenting and evaluating internal controls.
- Assists in supervising, training and mentoring project accountants.
- Assists in the division’s adherence to corporate policies and procedures
- Performs special assignments, as required.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s in Accounting required
- Minimum of 5 years related experience in real estate and/or construction industry
- Experience with multifamily industry, joint venture accounting, and public accounting preferred
- Exceptional organizational skills with an attention to detail
- Strong work ethic; team player attitude
- Must possess professional attitude and represent company in a positive manner
- Advanced computer skills, including use of Microsoft Excel and Timberline
- JD Edwards experience a plus
- Strong analytical skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- This is primarily a sedentary office position which requires the ability to operate computer equipment, speak, hear, bend, stoop, reach, lift, and move and carry up to 25 lbs. Finger dexterity required to operate a computer keyboard, a calculator, and telephone equipment. May operate a motor vehicle. Position may require the ability to work in excess of eight (8) hours per day.
- Arrive to work on time
- Follow directions from a supervisor
- Interact well with co-workers
- Understand and follow posted work rules and procedures
- Accept constructive criticism
This description outlines the basic responsibilities and requirements for the position noted. This is not a comprehensive listing of all job duties of the Associates. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.