Summary of Position
The Development Intern will work closely with senior Development leaders to gain hands-on work experience and to assist with all aspects of real estate development including, but not limited to: financing, entitlement, government approvals, consultant coordination, public relations, design, leasing/marketing, and construction oversight.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist with financial analysis and due diligence for new development opportunities, assisting in underwriting and cash flow analysis, and responding to Requests for Qualifications or Proposals.
- Perform research and analyses: benchmark economic activity in target markets by tracking rents, sales per square foot, operating costs, competitive supply and economic expansion activity.
- Assist in preparing business plans, including deal memorandums, annual operating plans, financial forecasts and strategic plans.
- Assist in coordinating loan draws, forecasting project budgets and cash flows, and managing project deliverables.
- Effectively communicate relevant project information to senior project team members and other Associates.
- Assist with market data and maintain target market databases to include existing apartment communities, rental comparisons, comparable land sales, demographic data, and new development data.
- Assist in meeting coordination/scheduling, documenting meeting minutes, and file organization as directed.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Full-time student at the Sophomore, Junior, Senior, or graduate level pursuing degree in Real Estate, Finance, Business Administration or related study is required.
- Strong quantitative and MS Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Project skills.
- Complex thinker and demonstrates strong intellectual curiosity.
- Keen attention to detail, high energy; possessed with drive.
- Suitability to an entrepreneurial culture that places a premium on performance.
- Must be a team player, but also a self-starter that can perform with limited direction.
- Excellent written and verbal and communication skills.
This is primarily a sedentary office position which requires the Development Intern to have the ability to operate computer equipment, speak, hear, bend, stoop, climb stairs, reach, lift, and move and carry up to 25 lbs. Finger dexterity is necessary. Rare or regular travel may be required to walk around construction job sites and/or apartment communities as needed, attend training classes, business meetings, or other situations necessary for the accomplishment of some or all of the daily responsibilities of this position.
- Arrive to work on time.
- Follow directions from a supervisor.
- Interact well with co-workers.
- Understand and follow posted work rules and procedures.
- Accept constructive criticism.
This description outlines the basic responsibilities and requirements for the position noted. This is not a comprehensive listing of all job duties of the Associates. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.