Summary of Position
The Development Manager is responsible for executing all functions of development for multifamily and mixed-use real estate projects with a focus on planning, entitlement, financial analysis, and overall management of the development process from inception to stabilization. The Development Manager is expected to concurrently and successfully work collaboratively with team members and manage multifaceted tasks for multiple projects with short deadlines.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Work hand-in-hand with the Division President, City President, Development Associates, LMC Living and LMC Construction to underwrite new development opportunities including identifying market-specific economic and demographic data, rental comparables information, construction cost estimates, local permit and fee costs and local supply and demand statistics.
- Work with the Investments team to prepare informational packages for the internal Investment Committee as well as Offering Memoranda for equity partners and outside lenders.
- Oversee and implement all facets of the development process including planning, design, entitlement, construction and lease-up of the projects.
- Thoroughly review civil, architectural and interior design plans to drive quality and cost effectiveness.
- Prepare, maintain and monitor project budgets and prepare monthly project development reports.
- Prepare and maintain the financial projections, monthly draw requests and related analyses for the development and operation of the projects.
- Provide leadership and mentoring for less experienced Associates.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Real Estate and/or B.S in Finance/Real Estate/Civil Engineering/ Building Sciences.
- MBA or Master’s Degree with applicable concentrations preferred but not required.
- Minimum of 3 years of significant experience in real estate development (preferably with an emphasis on Multifamily), land development and project management and the demonstrated ability to build and direct effective teams to manage major development projects.
- Deep knowledge and understanding of development and construction practices.
- Strong MS Office skills including Excel, PowerPoint and Word.
- Strong team orientation with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to manage several projects simultaneously through self-motivation, high energy, flexibility and excellent organizational skills.
- Strong work ethic and attention to detail.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Follow-through, deductive reasoning, intellectual curiosity, and a bias for action.
This is a position which requires the Development Manager to be able to view computer screens, mobile devices and other electronic equipment, paper reports, and journals for extended periods of time where visual strain may result. Must be able to frequently walk, stand, and climb stairs in and around construction sites, communities, apartment homes, models and properties. Also, must have the ability to speak, hear, bend, stoop, reach, lift, and move and carry up to 25 lbs. Finger dexterity is necessary. Regular travel is required to visit communities and offices throughout the region, and to attend training classes, business meetings, or other situations necessary for the accomplishment of some or all of the daily responsibilities of this position. Must have the ability to operate an automobile.
- Arrive to work on time.
- Follow directions from a supervisor.
- Interact well with co-workers.
- Understand and follow posted work rules and procedures.
- Accept constructive criticism.
This description outlines the basic responsibilities and requirements for the position noted. This is not a comprehensive listing of all job duties of the Associates. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.