Elmhurst (Chicago, IL)
Summary of Position
Assist the Project Manager and Superintendent in managing the day to day activities of the finishing subcontractors and suppliers on a project site, to ensure assigned work is completed on time and within budget. Inspects construction site daily and works with contractors to schedule deliveries. Has knowledge of commonly-used construction management concepts, practices, and procedures. Relies on instructions and pre-established guidelines to perform the functions of the job.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare punch list and ensure that each item on list is completed satisfactorily prior to inspection.
- Schedule inspections by City.
- Assess the schedule of construction to determine the order in which to complete the project.
- Prepare minutes of safety/business meetings.
- Order the necessary parts and replacement parts to prepare apartment homes for final inspection.
- Coordinate the final clean of apartment homes prior to turnover.
- Assist Superintendent and Project Manager in maintaining and enforcing Company’s safety policies among supervised subcontractors.
- Comply with all Company safety policies.
- Lock up and close down the job site.
- Sign in new building materials.
- Assist in the resolution of on-site personnel issues.
- Directly supervise the activities of the Subcontractors and Punch Carpenters and additional responsibilities delegated by the Project Manager or Superintendent.
- Must be able to resolve problematic situations and communicate desired objectives to subcontractors, managers, consultants, Associates, customers and other business-related professionals.
Education and Experience Requirements
- High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma is required.
- Bachelor’s degree in construction management is preferred.
- 1 – 3 years of experience in construction is required.
- Knowledge of construction management theory and practice.
- Must have thorough knowledge of drywall systems and finish trades, analyzing construction documents, and ability to read blueprints.
- Knowledge of PC and of construction and business software, including scheduling, estimating, spreadsheets and word processing.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must have the ability to operate an automobile. Must have a valid state approved driver’s license. Must be able to furnish a vehicle for use during the workday.
- Proficient with construction related tools such as tape measure, construction level, calculator, and etc.
This is a position which requires the Finish Superintendent to frequently walk, stand, and climb stairs in/around construction sites, apartment homes, models and properties. Must maintain professional appearance and be able to work in a construction environment in all weather conditions (rain, snow, heat, hail, wind, sleet), around hazardous chemicals, dust, dirt, and other particulates. Must also have the ability to operate an automobile, read large quantities of information, operate computer equipment, speak, hear, bend, stoop, reach, lift, move and carry up to 100 lbs. independently. Finger dexterity is necessary.
- Arrive to work on time.
- Ability to work evenings and/or weekends.
- Follow directions from a supervisor.
- Interact will with co-workers.
- Understand and follow posted work rules and procedures.
- Accept constructive criticism.
This description outlines the basic responsibilities and requirements for the position noted. This is not a comprehensive listing of all job duties of the Associates. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.