Summary of Position
The Construction Intern will work closely with a Superintendent and Project Manager in the field to gain hands-on work experience and to assist with managing the subcontractors and suppliers on a project site. Learn and apply construction management principles such as monitoring activities at construction sites, ensuring construction progresses as scheduled and contract specifications are adhered to, inspecting construction site daily, and working with contractors to schedule deliveries.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in providing construction management/inspection services on a multifamily/mixed-use project.
- Assist in gathering information regarding field construction issues and assist in determining potential solutions and recommendations.
- Prepare, maintain and secure contract records including correspondence, contractor documents, meeting minutes, daily inspection reports, specifications, non-compliance notices, etc.
- Assist with providing support for reviews on construction projects to ensure objectives and assignments are conducted in conformance to contract documents.
- Prepare reports on field operations which may include findings and recommendations for corrective actions.
- Other related construction management support functions as needed.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Full-time student at the Sophomore, Junior, Senior, or graduate level pursuing degree in Construction Management or related study is required.
- 1+ year of experience in construction or related experience is preferred.
- Knowledge of construction management theory and practice.
- Excellent computer skills — PC, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, and Internet.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Attention to detail and ability to proof your own work and the work of others.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, ability to take initiative, use good judgment, demonstrate a strong sense of urgency and follow-up and carry multiple projects through to completion.
This is primarily a sedentary office position which requires the Development Intern to have the ability to operate computer equipment, speak, hear, bend, stoop, climb stairs, reach, lift, and move and carry up to 25 lbs. Finger dexterity is necessary. Rare or regular travel may be required to walk around construction job sites and/or apartment communities as needed, attend training classes, business meetings, or other situations necessary for the accomplishment of some or all of the daily responsibilities of this position.
- Arrive to work on time.
- Ability to work evenings and/or weekends.
- Follow directions from a supervisor.
- Interact well with co-workers.
- Understand and follow posted work rules and procedures.
- Accept constructive criticism.
This description outlines the basic responsibilities and requirements for the position noted. This is not a comprehensive listing of all job duties of the Associates. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.