Summary of Position
The Vice President of Development is responsible for leading the development team on executing all functions of development for multifamily and mixed-use real estate projects with a focus on planning, entitlement, financial analysis, and overall management of the development process from inception to stabilization for our division. The associate will directly report to the Division President as well as have access to multiple corporate leaders throughout the firm. The VP is expected to concurrently and successfully manage multifaceted tasks for multiple projects.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Working hand-in-hand with the Division President, Development Managers, Development Associates, LMC Living and LMC Construction to underwrite new development opportunities including identifying market-specific economic and demographic data, rental comparables information, sales comparables information, construction cost estimates, local permit and fee costs and local supply and demand statistics.
- Working with the Investments team to prepare informational packages for the internal Investment Committee as well as Offering Memoranda for equity partners and outside construction lenders.
- Overseeing and implementing all facets of the development process including planning, design, entitlement, construction and lease-up of the projects.
- Thoroughly reviewing civil, architectural, landscape architectural and interior design plans to drive quality and cost effectiveness.
- Preparing, maintaining and monitoring project budgets and preparing monthly project development reports.
- Preparing and maintaining the financial projections, monthly draw requests and related analyses for the development and operation of the projects.
- Directing the internal project team and outside professionals in creating an effective strategy for the success of the projects and implementing that strategy.
- Providing leadership and mentoring for less experienced Associates.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Minimum of 8 years of significant experience in Multifamily real estate development and the demonstrated ability to build and direct effective teams to manage major development projects.
- Deep knowledge and understanding of development and construction practices.
- Ability to manage several projects simultaneously through self-motivation, high energy, flexibility and excellent organizational skills.
- Strong work ethic and attention to detail. Must be a self-starter and independently figure things out.
- Bachelor’s degree in Real Estate and/or B.S in Finance/Real Estate/Civil Engineering/ Building Sciences.
- MBA or Master’s Degree with applicable concentrations strongly preferred but not required.
- Strong MS Office skills including Excel, PowerPoint and Word.
- Strong team orientation with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Follow-through, deductive reasoning, intellectual curiosity, and a bias for action.
This is a position which requires the VP of Development to be able to view computer screens, mobile devices and other electronic equipment, paper reports, and journals for extended periods of time where visual strain may result. Must be able to frequently walk, stand, and climb stairs in and around construction sites, communities, apartment homes, models and properties. Also, must have the ability to speak, hear, bend, stoop, reach, lift, and move and carry up to 20 lbs. Finger dexterity is necessary. Regular travel is required to visit communities and offices throughout the region, and to attend training classes, business meetings, or other situations necessary for the accomplishment of some or all of the daily responsibilities of this position. Must have ability to operate an automobile.
- Arrive to work on time.
- Follow directions from a supervisor.
- Interact well with co-workers.
- Understand and follow posted work rules and procedures.
- Accept constructive criticism.
This description outlines the basic responsibilities and requirements for the position noted. This is not a comprehensive listing of all job duties of the Associates. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.